Monday, May 19, 2008

The Paranoia

I was already really paranoid about India before coming because of all the warnings I got from friends, the travel nurse, my manager, etc about being careful about the water, ice, food, being robbed or cheated, the mosquitoes, getting sick etc. So it didn’t help that the malaria pills heightened my paranoia.

Pete and I were talking about how one of our co-workers got really sick the last time she was in India, and I had to be hospitalized.

They say: “If you wait until someone tells you that you look really sick, it’s usually too late.” Haha . we laughed about it, but then later on that day I started feeling REALLY sick.

So after our first day of presentations and training, we went straight back to the hotel, take some cold medicine and take a nap. I was getting major hot and cold chills, so I decided to put a sweatshirt on. Halfway through my nap, my temperature got really high, so I was kinda sweating it out I guess. I forgot to put the ‘do not disturb sign” up so the maid entered my room.

When I woke up, I experienced some weird vivid dream, where I felt really disoriented and thought I was in a cave. I yelled down the cave “HELLLOOO??” in a very frantic manner. The maid rushed in and looked at me and said “OH MY GOSH you look sooo SICK! Should I call the doctor madame!?”

It was almost funny that she said that… since just earlier that day, Pete and I were laughing about how it’s too late when someone sees that you look sick. LOL. I said "no thanks, I think I'll be ok" and that’s when I thought to myself ... hmm, I guess it wouldn’t be so bad if I died...I mean.. I've lived a pretty eventful life, have really lived it up, worked hard... accomplished a lot, loved and loved ... seriously I have no regrets.

But even then, I think it was the malaria pills talking.

The maid stuck around for a while in the room, i guess just to make sure I was going to be ok. Eventually the facade of the cave went away and I realized where I was again.

1 comment:

Linda said...

o man, i hope you're feeling better :(