Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Day Two in Chennai

The work days were long, with giving presentations in the mornings and holding workshops in the afternoon -- but it was very rewarding, because they were all really involved and interested in what we were talking about. We all had a lot of fun with the projects and group activities.

After work, our driver would take us around to go sight seeing. Pete had been in Chennai before so it was more like him showing me around. We went to Mahabalipuram where there's this giant rock called the butter ball, and a lot of temples and carvings. There were goats and cows roaming freely (like everywhere) but also had monkeys. I didn't get to see any monkeys close up, but last time Pete was there, the monkeys were everywhere.

On Tuesday night, i had another 'malaria pill' episode. It was horrrrriiible!! I seriously hallucinated. I was getting all paranoid in my sleep that i was being attacked by mosquitoes... so I kept swatting at my face - and then i opened my eyes and saw a GIANT hummingbird-sized green mosquito, that kinda looked like a cartoon. I kept blinking my eyes to make sure i was seeing it properly hovering towards the back end of the room. Then it all of a sudden flew at me really fast and i screamed and covered my head with the blankets. I had to sleep like that for the rest of the night - all throughout my hot and cold flashes. After that, I decided in the morning that i would not continue taking those crazy pills.

1 comment:

Linda said...

dood... doood... DOOD! o man you really got the worst malaria pills ever! I HOPE YOU'RE OK!! just keep thinking of all the happy things of your trip, like getting a tan, being in nice hot weather, shopping, picture taking. i think you need a vacation after this work-vacation... maybe you can sleep in all memorial day weekend :)