Friday, October 02, 2009

My Self-Employed Lifestyle

It's been well over a month since I quit eBay, and I've been enjoying the spontaneous life of self employment. I think it's kinda been one of the best months of my life!!

JT and I finally finished cleaning out the last unused room in our house, and made it into my 'office' so I've been alternating between working in that room, upstairs, and and at a local cafe w/ free wifi to keep the atmosphere fresh and interesting.

My daily work schedule is somewhat unplanned. Some days I'll pop up in the morning and be dying to jot something down or get going. I find the best times for me to work is when I'm feeling pumped and inspired. Some days, I work 10-12 hours straight because I'm *so* in the zone... and once the momentum slows down I can just call it a day, and retire to my couch where I'll watch hours of DVRed shows. =)

Since the fall season TV shows have started, I've been watching TV like a mad woman.... and I LOOOOVE it. I love the fact that the start-up I'm working on encompasses SO many things I am super passionate about, and allows me to be involved with so many aspects of the job. Working within the online social media and entertainment realm, while managing to wear so many different hats including design, business, PR, marketing... if all works out - it will truly be my dream job. Somehow this job brings it all together for me -- my years of interning at different PR firms, working in the entertainment industry, online journalism, and the web industry. No matter how it turns out, I feel more and more confident everyday that this is the right next step for me.

There has not been a 'normal' work schedule for me. Other than meeting with my startup counterparts in the evenings, daytime work hours are completely flexible. The flexibility has also allowed me to indulge in many of my other creative hobbies. I was able to play a small roll in NBC's tv show "Trauma" which will be airing October 15th! woohoo. I was also able to take part of bunch of fun photo shoots (I will post more pics soon). And... I'm spending some more time expanding my photography portfolio and photographing more happy dogs which brings me so much joy! I have a doggie park date with THREE dogs this coming Sunday! wooohoo. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, working doesn't actually start until after lunch because I have a pilates/gym date w/ my buddy Emmy.

Late starts in the day doesn't ever hold me back, because I am feeling so much more inspired these days. I'm able to work into the night and not feel like I'm working. I'm working towards my dream ... a fun product I'm passionate about. And if it doesn't work out, I'll know I at least tried, and I've been learning so much through this experience... not just about the how to do a web start-up (since this is my first time), but I am also learning so much about myself.

Of course with the unknown, there are always feelings of anxiety that make you second guess yourself. I do a lot of that... so I am so grateful for my awesomely supportive hubby who has truly been my rock. He's been cheering me on since day one.

We are gearing up to LAUNCH a simple version of our site THIS month, and I am feeling PUMMPPPPPED!

No comments: