Saturday, April 04, 2009

Ever been de-friended?

I just saw this post on yelp forums about de-friending which I thought was kinda interesting:
Some dude deleted me as a friend on FB a couple days ago. No idea why.
Barely said more than a few words to him. Thing is, on FB you can just click "see less from this person" if they really annoy you. Why he went so far as to remove me leaves me a bit puzzled.

I've always been the de-friender (on Yelp mostly never FB) not the de-friended.
Guess there's a first time for everything : /


Adding friends on facebook is not something you should do nonchalantly because you are essentially giving people e-stalking access to your life -- access to information like what you've been doing, who you've been hanging out with, pictures of you, conversations you have with other people, etc. Some people add only their close friends to facebook, but as for me, I've generally been pretty open with facebook friend adding. As long as I've actually interacted with a person before on friendly terms, I'll generally be open to adding people initially.

However, I de-friend ppl all the time... and to me it's never anything personal.

What's my general de-friending criteria?

1) Wait, who is this person again? Oops, I don't know you at all, how the heck did you get on my friends list? (Delete!)

2) I barely know this person but they requested me so I add them... and it doesn't seem like they are really trying to get to know me better. They just want to quietly e-stalk. If I ran into them in person, would they even say hi to me?! probably not... (Delete!)

3) Oh yah, I remember you from years and years ago. Were we even friends? Maybe we could re-connect... months later you've been on my FB for a while and you never respond to me. (Delete!) Sometimes I add people I haven't seen for a while thinking we're going to reconnect... and maybe it doesn't always work out that way. (delete!)

4) After adding someone, I realize they are just adding ppl for the sake of having a huge friend list... they don't actually care about me personally... and probably won't even notice if I delete them. (Delete!)

5)Some people delete friends because they have too many irrelevant updates, or spam and it get's annoying. I don't have much of that on FB, but I get it on myspace all the time, and I go and delete those people.

I think it totally makes sense why this guy would delete the girl above if she has barely spoken to him. If someone on my friend list decided to delete me for any of the reasons above, I probably wouldn't think much of it... I would care more if there was some kind of 'falling out' that I didn't know about.

I think the best thing to do if you are feeling hurt or offended by being de-friended w/o an explanation with, is to reach out directly to them rather than sitting around wondering what went wrong. And if it is someone you barely spoke to and don't really care to speak to, just let it go... people drift apart.

1 comment:

Linda said...

i would do #1 and #2, although #1 hasn't happened since i don't add people i don't know at all lol.

i'm more lenient with #3 ... even though i might only msg that person like once a year i still like to know what they've been up to and leave re-connecting in the future open (even though probability might be low haha)